Sail drive clean up

Our zincs were eaten down to a scary level despite having checked them visually with our underwater camera a month ago. In addition, we hadn't known which type of anti-fouling to put on the aluminum saildrive and maxprop last year and so they had spent a year in the water without and the drive and prop had barnacles on them.

Before work but after high pressure wash and knocking off the barnacles:

We sanded the saildrive to the aluminum and put 5 coats of Primocon on it:

Then we put two coats of Trilux II anti-fouling on the saildrive, replaced the zincs, sanded the max prop and put 3 coats of Petit Barnacle Barrier on the prop.


Much better. We'll see how it lasts over the next year and whether we have barnacles growing at the next haulout.

During the process we found out that neither Primocon nor Trilux are legal in spray cans to sell in Canada. We had a partial can of Primocon which did the job and we had to buy the Trilux in a liquid paint form and ended up with a large enough can that will go bad before we use it all.


We ordered pizza to the boat. I can't believe they deliver to us. First, there was a silly and fun factor to having someone knock on the side of our hull and for us to climb out of the boat to receive our pizzas. Plus, we live a long way out in the marina.

The round trip is more than half a mile. I occasionally bring my bike to the boat so I can ride down the docks and save time especially when I have groceries or books that I can stow in my panniers. (satellite view)

We tipped nicely.

Odyssey PC1800


Mock battery
Originally uploaded by S/V Estrellita

We are considering adding the new Odyssey batteries as we re-do our battery bank. These batteries have the amazing characteristic of accepting the same full charge rate when they are 80% charged as they do when 50% charged.

We created a cardboard mock up of one of the PC1800s which we will be using to see if we can fit 2 in the place that the current batteries are. We will certainly have to destroy the old box and rebuild but if we measured correctly, might be able to fit two of these.



Originally uploaded by S/V Estrellita

When we left our house in Colorado, we kept our 8" deep memory foam mattress (a Tempurapedic knock off) which Carol subsequently cut into the correct sizes for the v-berth. It cuts into our headroom but it is so very fantastically comfortable.

To alleviate condensation issues we recently purchased Hypervent which Livia wrestled into place and cut so that it goes under the v-berth and up the sides. At the same time she re-sealed and varnished all of the wood underneath the v-berth which looked good but had been getting consistently wet and she bleached out the mattress to make sure it didn't get funky.

So far this seems to have improved the condensation but not eliminated it. Really, we need to improve the ventilation.

We've ordered special EC Smith and Sons solar vents which fit our existing Ventilite flush vents on the foredeck and we will be installing those soon. One of the few real downsides of the Pretorien design is that ventilation with the stock vents is not enough.


Click on the dollar and buy Livia and Carol a cold frosty one:


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner